The nineteenth century marks the start of a remarkable journey. In 1840, on the corner of Stadhouderskade and Hobbemastraat, a small tearoom opened its doors. For 55 years, it welcomed some of the wealthiest citizens of Amsterdam. The tearoom even witnessed the formation of the most famous park of Amsterdam, which is now known as the Vondelpark. Within two centuries, this tearoom has transformed into a beautiful 4 star hotel, with 189 guest rooms, named Park Hotel. Get to know our story.
From a Tearoom To Guest Rooms
Less than 15 years after the opening of the city park, the tearoom was rebuilt into a hotel. It was given its suitable name Parkzicht (Dutch for Park Sight). This is where in 1925 the VARA was established, one of the bigger Dutch broadcasting companies. With the Olympic games of 1928 in mind, the hotel was expanded and later counted 90 guest rooms, multiple event rooms, a bowling and billiard area, and a bar. Then the war came, and the building was painted black to prevent it from being ruined by air attacks. Park Hotel has had this colour ever since.
From Parkzicht to Park Hotel
After the war, the hotel has been renovated multiple times. The billiard and bowling area closed, some of the event rooms have been turned into meeting rooms, and the name changed from Parkzicht, to The Inn At The Park and later The Park Hotel. Late 2006, the hotel has joined Grand City Hotels & Resorts, the company responsible for the renovation in 2007. The Park Hotel was stripped entirely, and the (guest) rooms, lobby, reception, restaurant and bar have been renovated entirely. Park Hotel reopened late 2008. MOMO Restaurant, Bar & Lounge had its grand opening on the 1st of October that year.